I remember when I was a little girl and my dad would bring home a box of chocolates from SEE'S candies for my mom I always thought they looked so yummy and I would take the biggest or the one that looked the best and just take the biggest bite. I can't tell you how many times after that initial bite that I would start gagging, spit half of the chocolate out into the garbage and place the other half back in the box to be eaten by someone else. As time went on I got a little smarter, I would pick up the piece of chocolate that I was contemplating devouring and poke my little finger in the bottom (where noone could see) to check out what was in the middle and decide whether I wanted to eat it or not. This idea was not, however, foolproof and sometimes what appeared to be a delicious pink center would turn out to taste like medicine!! Later in life I just decided that I liked the long, thin ones because usually they are caramel ones that I know I like and they are easy to distinguish amongst all of the other chocolates in the box.
What can we learn from my chocolate experience you may ask?!? Let me put things in perspective for you! My personal feelings are that just as Forrest Gump says "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get", so are relationships. I would venture to say that at some point in our lives all of us have thrown ourselves into a relationship feet first, throwing caution to the wind just like taking any chocolate from the box and taking a big bite not stopping to think about what might be waiting for you once you get to the middle of it. Sometimes we are the ones that come back chewed up and spit out but sometimes it is the other way around. Hopefully we learn from those experiences and we are more selective the next time. I find nothing wrong with digging down to someone's center before deciding if you are going to "take a bite" or not. Any of you who know me know that I partaken of my fair share of "chocolates" in life. Some of them have been those icky kinds that taste like medicine and have left a bitter taste in my mouth. Some, on the other hand, are like the "good" chocolates in the box, not nearly enough and just when you discover that this could be your new favorite, they are gone.
Heavens know I have learned a lot from my experience with both chocolate and men. For instance, I know that I like milk chocolate and I love dark chocolate just as I know that I like boys that are returned missionaries but I love boys who are still actively trying to better themselves, who honor their priesthood,and who are examples to those around them. I know that I like caramels always no matter what just like I know that I like men that can make me laugh and love kids always no matter what!! I know that I like buttercream filling but I don't always have to have it just like I know that I like guys that are taller than me so that I can stand on my tip toes to kiss them but I don't always have to have that. I know that I can not stand any chocolate with a fruit filling just like I don't like fruity guys whose sexuality is questionable!! (Trust me I know better than you might think about this one ;)) I also know that I am always going to be willing to try a new morsel of chocolate if it looks tempting enough just like I know that I will always be willing to put my heart on the line if the guy seems like he is worth it!!!
I don't think that I would change anything or take anything back that I have done in life. I am grateful for the lessons I have learned and although I wish in some cases that there would have been a whole box of my favorite chocolates or a whole lifetime with my favorites I know that I can move on and maybe find something or someone that I like better, even if I don't really want to!!
So I guess Forrest Gump was right, you never know what you are going to get but I know that it is worth the journey.
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Posted by jess at 7:37 AM
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
You Belong in 1983
Wild, over the top, and just a little bit cheesy. You're colorful at night - and successful during the day.
Posted by jess at 9:04 AM
Friday, May 16, 2008
It's about time!! I have been a dedicated fan of America's Next Top Model from season 2 (I missed the first season cuz I was serving the Lord) and every year I hope that the "bigger" or "real size" model can do well because I feel like it would be a victory for all us curvy girls out there. I don't if any of you have ever struggled with your weight but I can honestly tell you that sometimes I wish that I could just be o.k. with the way I look and not worry about my hip that are way too big or my little belly that just refuses to be flat. I honestly know that the blame lies with myself but I think that if there were more women in the media with normal bodies I wouldn't be worry so much about my own imperfectness.
I posted quite a few of the pictures Whitney took while she was on ANTM.. I think they are beautiful and I hope that the message that her winning sends out is that it's o.k. if you wear a size bigger than a 2 or a 4 and that you can be beautiful and sexy!!
Posted by jess at 10:08 AM
Saturday, May 10, 2008
So today happens to be the birthday of two of my favorite men!! My dad and Logan both share May 10 as their birthdays. Since my dad is much older and never reads this blog I won't dedicate much time to him but I do love him SOOOO much and I am so grateful for all he does for me!!
Logan turns 27 today and so I though I might share 27 things that I like about Logan and some fun facts!!
1. He is super respectful of me and treats me so well.
2. He is one of the most patient people I have ever met.. Not too hard considering the family I come from!!
3. I like that he is taller than me.. I get to stand on my tip toes when we kiss sometimes ;)
4. He drives in the slow lane and sets cruise control at 67!! (It drives me crazy and he knows that and is ok with it!)
5. He is the 3rd of 7 kids
6. He served a mission in Guatemala
7. He is super ambitious and driven to succeed in life.
8. He is never on time to church.. NEVER!
9. I love to watch him with his niece Audrey.. especially when he talks real quiet to her and kisses her cheek.. Melts my little heart.
10. He is willing to do anything with me even if he hates it..shopping comes to mind.
11. He will go see chick flicks with me, doesn't complain, and doesn't ask for anything in return ;)
12. He is not afraid to do funny things in public
13. He never swears or raises his voice
14. He relies on his sister Mariel for tonz of things.. the list is too long.
15. He never makes me feel stupid, even when I have my clutzy moments
16. He always want to hold my hand
17. He is super easy to talk to and is a GREAT listener!!
18. He has gained 15 pounds of pure muscle since we started dating!!
19. He is a great dancer, even though we haven't been I see his little moves and can only imagine!
20. He has a really good voice and I love when he sings along to the radio with me.
21. He is AMAZING at Guitar Hero- Lucky for me he has shared some of his secrets to help me be better!
22. He has a million books on being rich and successful..
23. He is really competitive and hates to lose.. even if it means not letting his 4 year old nephew beat him at Halo.. haha
24. He wants to be a mission President when he is young..
25. He wants to retire at 45!! (good luck with this one bud)
26. He once made me dinner and didn't call me back for 4 months!
27. He is more than I could have ever imagined!!
Happy Birthday Log... I am making him dinner tonight so hopefully he lives for another year ;)
Posted by jess at 12:28 PM
Thursday, May 8, 2008
TAGGED! How to play this game of tag. Post these rules on your blog. List 3 joys, 3 fears, 3 goals, 3 current obsessions/collections, 3 random surprising facts about yourself. Tag 5 people at the end of your post by leaving their names. Let them know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
1. My family
2. The gospel
3. My Friends
2. The Dark
3. Gaining Weight
1. To get married
2. To have babies
3. Buy a vacation home in Brazil
3 Current obsessions/collections:
1. Logan (can he count as an obcession?!?)
2. American Idol or reality t.v. in general
3. Riding with the top down in my car.. I love this time of year
3 Random surprising facts about myself:
1. I have issues with odd numbers... I always have to have a positive number like on the volume on the t.v. or something
2. I flush the toilet in public with my shoes.. I can't stand using my hands!! It is kinda hard sometimes when I have stilettos on and it is the kind with the button on the top of the toilet ;)
3. I love rainy spring days.. especially when my window is open and I am cozy in the sheets and I can hear and smell the rain!!! Days like that are my favorite!!!
I tag Shelly, Jodi, Tiff, Carli, Rachel, Becky, Leah, and whoever else wants to!!
Posted by jess at 9:07 AM
Monday, May 5, 2008
So Shelly and I went to the "Swell Season" concert on Friday and it was way better than I ever could have imagined. I love going to concerts, the entertainment is just incredible but coming from a musical background it is so nice to hear musicians that have real, raw, talent. So many artists in today's world just depend on digital remastering of their songs and not their own talent, but this was not the case with Swell Season. They are all super talented and their songs are amazing!!
Although we were surrounded by several people that like the same sex (gays), as well as people that looked and smelled as if they hadn't showered in a little while, and standing for four and a half hours straight, it was amazing. Shelly and I decided to make the most of it and so we pretended like we were lesbians too (minus the whole kissing thing) and I didn't feel so bad that I forgot deodorant and hadn't washed my hair that morning ;) I hope you enjoy this clip and if you want more music you can buy the "Once" soundtrack... All the songs are great!!
Posted by jess at 5:01 PM