Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Please, tell me I am not the only one???

So last night was a rough one, I had woken up as usual at an insanely early hour to relieve my full bladder and was able to drift back to sleep quickly.. then for some unknown reason i found myself awake again just an hour later.. I sat and tried to discover why the helk i was wide awake- did I need to pee again? was I hot? was there something waking me up? umm no to all of these so I tried every possible position on the bed but I just couldn't get comfortable. Finally it dawned on me.. I was hungry! and not just normal middle of the night hungry- i was starving. So... I got my little booty out of bed as my husband is asking me where I am going at 2:30 in the morning... To the kitchen I was off. I scoured the fridge for something appetizing and then remembered the leftover egg drop soup.. which I accompanied with some yummy Triskets and of course let's not forget the half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that I never finished for dinner- it couldn't go to waste!!! Ha Ha I nearly laughed out loud the entire time I just sat in my kitchen with nothing but the moon to light my way and I ate until I felt content...

So back to my question... how many of you- pregnant or not- have ever had a middle of the night snack fest??? what did you eat?? and did you regret it?? I have to say i most definitely did not regret it one bit.. the whole time I kept thinking----

this hungry at 2:30+5 more hours of sleep= starving and morning sickness when I wake up.. umm no thanks!

8 comments:

Jessie said...

Oh girl, you are not alone! When I was pregnant, I ate in the middle of the night ALL the time. And never once did I regret it. Now if I wasn't pregnant, I might regret it the next morning (but probably not :) )

cheeks said...

you're hilarious!! i don't know if i ever ate anything in the middle of the night, but i kept water by my side because i was always so thirsty....which totally adds to then having to get up more to pee!!

I always ate like a "4th meal" just before bed though, usually a bowl of cereal or some graham crackers...but if you get heartburn easy, eating late can add to that. it's funny how your body acts while that little one is growing!

Just don't forget to brush your teeth after those midnight (or 2:30 am) snacks! here's the hygienist in me coming out.....definitely keep up on your flossing while pregnant to so you can avoid pregnancy gingivitis! :)

Adam & Leesha Wickern said...

Oh, I know allllll about what you are saying. It is funny because I wondered if I was the only one that struggled with the middle of the night hunger, but it is very normal. I used to not be able to eat past 6:00 because it would make me sick to my stomach and then once I got pregnant I figured out that if I eat before 6:00 I get the hunger in the middle of the night and especially if I didn't get enough protein and veggies. So, I made it a point to eat just a little bit later that way I was satisfied longer. However; that didn't always work, I usually had to get up and eat some cheerios around 4:00 a.m. once in a while. You might be different than me, but that middle of the night hunger was only really strong the first 3-4 months, then after that, it is the whole bladder annoyance that takes over, especially the 3rd trimester. I used to laugh because people would ask me if I was peeing more than once in the middle of the night, and I was thinking...what are you talking about? Once is plenty unless you have a bladder the size of a peanut, but once that 3rd trimester hit me, I think I pee about 2-3 times a night.

Pregnancy is fun, especially if you aren't sick. I didn't get sick at all, the only time I felt nauseated was when I didn't eat, but after the 1st trimester I was fine. You might be lucky like that too.

Enjoy pregnancy, there are so many changes and so many fun things to learn about. It is so fun to learn about how your baby is growing each week and how your body is changing at the same time. There will always be those annoyances of clothes that don't fit, or you hitting your belly on the refrigerator door when you try to close it EVERY SINGLE TIME, but it is still fun. I don't know what books you are reading about pregnancy, but if I could suggest "Your Pregnancy Week by Week" I think it is sooo much better than the "what to expect when you are expecting" book. Also, "Becoming Babywise" is really good when you are nearing the end of the pregnancy and a fun Pregnancy Journal that I got is called "The Belly Book", it is fun. Good luck with your pregnancy!! Even though you may not feel the "hottest" remember you are adorable to everyone around you, especially your husband!

Ruby said...

Oh, man! That always happens when I am nursing. I'll feed baby at 2 or 3 am and then literally STUFF my face with chocolate cake, or cookies, and then chase it down with a huge glass of milk. If I haven't passed out from exhaustion yet, I'll grab a bowl of cereal with it :) Which reminds me...I need to schedule an appointment with my dentist!

Chrissijc said...

You are so funny!!! I would have to say I have and didn't regret it until the heartburn set in later....

Reeder family said...

okay this is kind of funny! I would keep a bag of some yummy cereal next to the toliet so I could munch and pee at the same time. It will save your life! I loved the frosted mini wheats in blueberry. Jason said he always could hear me eating and twinkling at the same time.

Browns said...

Jess - First off...I found your blog thru Marcie's hope you dont mind! Second..I totally eat in the middle of the night-pregnant or not. I actually have snacks in my nightstand-makes it sooo much easier then going down to the kitchen at 2 in the morning. However last night I found my self downstairs-getting a capri sun and cookies...I've always been this way and probably always will! :)
Ps. Congrats on the pregnancy!
--Kirsche

meg fee said...

ahhh, i love this!! i can't wait until i'm pregnant!